VancePDF is one of the pdf tools offering a web-based application, which enables users to access basic pdf modification features without downloading any app. Hence, with a few steps, you can easily password protect pdf online. Not only is the process straightforward, but you also don't need to purchase the pro plan before you password protect a pdf file – it’s free! If you are looking for how to password protect a pdf for free, this suits you best.
1. Visit the password protect pdf webpage and click on the “Select file” option to upload the pdf file
2. Input your password and repeat the password and click Convert to get the system going
3. Wait for a second, click on the Download button to save the output after the processing is done.
Similar to Smallpdf, here is another alternative that gives you the freedom to modify your pdf file with a vast range of features and tools. It is largely online, and as such, you don't need to waste extra resources downloading an app for the process. Best of all, it's also free, and within a few minutes, you can complete the entire process.
1. Visit the protect pdf web page
2. Click on “select pdf file" to choose the pdf you intend to protect. You may also drag a file into the box.
3. Type and repeat the password to ensure accuracy
4. That's all! You can now go on to download your protected PDF for free.
Here is another online pdf editor with an impressive range of features and functionalities. Similar to the aforementioned options, if you are looking to restrict opening and permissions by setting passwords on your pdf files, you can achieve that and more on pdf2go without spending a dime. As a plus over its competitors, pdf2go gives an option to rasterize your file and prevent others from editing it.
1. Visit the pdf2go's protect pdf web page
2. Select the pdf file you want to protect either by dropping the file or clicking the choose pdf option
3. Create your password and repeat it for verification
4. Set password restrictions as you deem fit
5. You may also enable rasterization if you want.
As a predominantly free online pdf editor, soda pdf also offers you freedom over your files. It is touted as the most proximal alternative to Adobe acrobat when it comes to password protecting a pdf file, and definitely, it has lived up to the hype. Soda pdf allows you to restrict permissions on the pdf file, as well as offer protection for your entire document. Best of all, it doesn't force any password format on you.
1. Visit the password protect web page
2. Choose the pdf file
3. Select a password you wish to secure your file. Re-enter the password for confirmation, and hit “protect"
4. Once you enter the password, you can then go on to preview and download the protected document to your PC or mobile.
Pdf converter is another online pdf editing tool that allows you to perform several modifications and changes on your pdf file, right on an accessible and easy-to-use platform. Using this tool, you can be sure of the most reliable security and pdf encryption. While there are free options allowing you to add passwords, it also offers a pro version, offering access to more advanced protection features.
1. Visit the pdf protect web page
2. Choose the pdf file you wish to convert. You can also drag and drop in a box
3. Select a strong password to lock your pdf file
4. Click the protect option, and within a few minutes, your file is ready for download.
Having explored five alternatives to password protect pdf online, you would agree that most of these tools offer almost equally functional features to achieve this and more. Best of all, they are all free. As a result, choosing the best alternative for you depends solely on your personal choices and preferences. However, it is important to note that to password protect PDF is not always perfect, because sometimes, we may carelessly share the password with unauthorized parties. As such, we advise that you adopt other protective mechanisms alongside password protection, suppose the document is a highly confidential one.
Also read How to sign a PDF without Adobe Acrobat to learn how to authorize your PDF file.